Best time to visit here:
Like the other places in Bangladesh, Kuakata too has a very pleasant tropical climate. Most of the season the rain keeps the temperature low. The rain makes the climate suitable for tourist to travel any time of the year. There is a short dry season of two months which do not have any major impact on its weather overall. The average temperature is 25.9 degrees C which is quite the perfect temperature for trips. January is the driest month. And the best time to visit this majestic place would be from January to April were you an experience both the dry climate and wet season.
History, Origin of the name and culture of Kuakata:
The history of this place is quite fascinating and there are many incidents that make it unique. The name itself is quite interesting if you know how it came into existence. The name “Kuakata”, which in Bengali means “well – dug”. This came into existence when the Rakhine settlers from Myanmar came to Bangladesh. These settlers were expelled by the Mughal rulers from Myanmar and they came to Bangladesh for a safe haven.
They came to this place in search of drinking water and in the process started digging a well. This was during the 18th century. This became a tradition and soon the settlers were known for their digging art and they started digging several wells in the surroundings. The culture of this place is also fascinating. Both Hindus and Buddhists come to this place for the holy bath. There is an old Buddhist temple in this place which is about 200 years old.
Geographical description, why the place is famous?
Kuakata Bangladesh is known for its scenic beauty and the panoramic view is very famous in the world. This is a beach that is located in the southeast Bangladesh. Some of the travel site rates this destination as one of the best in the subcontinent. The beach is a sandy expansion of 18 kilometers and it is about 3 kilometers wide. This makes it a perfect place to walk and relax.
The Kuakata sea beach is the perfect place if you want to see the mesmerizing view of the sun setting and rising. This place is located in the Kalapara Upazila which again is located in the Patuakhali District. This place is about 320 kilometers from the capital city Dhaka. There are many tourists who come to this place for tours. Most of the tourists come here for diving and to see the panoramic view of the sea. Photographers from all over the globe turn to this place for capturing this unique sight.
During the festivals such as Rush Purnima and Maghi Purnima, many Hindu devotees come to this place for the holy bath. This is quite a significant sight. During this time there are many small fairs that are organized here. This is the perfect time for you to visit this place. There are many old temples and monuments near this place. A 3-day tour is a perfect plan for spending your next vacation here in this majestic place in the southeast.
Things to do and places to see here:
- The Kuakata sea beach: Kuakata sea beach is the most popular site in this place. The beach is very long and is a perfect place for you to walk and relax. There are many people who come to this place for photography. The panoramic view of the sea from this beach is excellent. During the festival time, there are many devotees who come to this place for holy rituals. This is the perfect time when you can experience the culture of this place. People also come to see the local fairs here.
- Ilish Park: The Ilish Park named after the famous fish is a very beautiful park. There are many species of fishes that are served here. This place is a perfect place if you are traveling with your family. Oriental food is quite popular in these regions and they serve some of the amazing dishes in their restaurants. There is also a place to play for the children. You can come here and relax and enjoy the delicacies.
- Misripara: Misripara is a very popular Rakhine village which is known for its 200 years old Buddhist temple. There is also the famous 30 feet tall Buddha statue. If you want to visit this place the best way to reach this place is to hire a motorcycle. There are many local agencies that provide motorcycle hire services to the travelers. As the roads are not that good, a motorcycle is the best ride available.
- Fatrar Dip: This is a very famous island in this place. There are so many people who come to this place. You can reach this place by ferry or by a boat. Known for its scenic beauty this is one of the top tourist places in the region.
- Diving: There are many people who come to this place for diving. Diving in this region is a unique experience. You can avail the diving gears from the local agencies. They rent the types of equipment at a very reasonable rate. There are several diving sites you can select from.
- Rakhain Market: This is a very old market that is located near to this place. If you want to take some artifacts from this place as a memory to your home then this is the perfect place where you and get the best products at a very reasonable rate.
- Play football: This country is known for two sports football and cricket. You can actually rent a football per hour basis and start playing on the beach. It is quite a wonderful experience to play on the sandy beach.
- Buy famous chocolates and pickles: This region is very famous for its chocolates and pickles. You can buy some of the finest pickles from the Rakhain market.
- Kua: There are several kuas in the place. This place has a fascinating history of wells as the name came from the wells dug by the Rakhine settlers. Some of these wells which were dug several years back are still there. The local authorities were quite successful in preserving these historical sites. These wells reminds us of the hardship faced by the Rakhine people who came to this wonderful land from Myanmar in search of a haven and settled here forever.
How to reach this place?
Airways: The nearest airport is in Dhaka. From there you can board a bus to this place. There are several international airlines that you can board. As Dhaka is the capital city of Bangladesh you don’t have to worry about transportation.
Roads: From the Dhaka airport to this place is a two-phase journey. The two-phase journey is quite interesting as the view is excellent. You can drive to your destination traveling through the majestic valleys.
- Phase 1: Dhaka to Barishal: It takes around 3 hours to reach Barishal where you can go for lunch. There are many good restaurants in this place.
- Phase 2: Barishal to Kuakata: There are several ways to complete the phase. By the roadways, you can go by bus which will again take almost 2 hours to reach the destination.
Waterways: If you want to spice up your journey then why don’t you start at the beginning? There is no other way to experience the beauty, then traveling through the waterways. There are ferry services that you can avail to travel to your destination. The rates are also very much reasonable.
Hire Taxi service: If you want to reach your hotel after a hectic flight then hire a taxi. There are several taxi services that you can avail in this place. The reasonable rates and the excellent customer services make these taxis rides quite comfortably.
Top Hotel / Resorts in Kuakata:
- Hotel Banani Palace: One of the finest Kuakata hotel in the country, this is a perfect place to stay. The view of the sun setting and rising can be seen from this place. There are many suites and rooms available in the hotel. Some of the facilities include AC, car parking and a hot bath.
- Hotel Sea Palace: Another popular budget hotel is the hotel sea palace that has been quite popular among the travelers. There are many amenities such as hot baths, AC rooms, and parking areas.
- Anondo Bari: Anondo Bari is another popular Kuakata hotel to stay. There are several budget rooms that you can hire. The staff is really good here in this hotel.
- Shikder Resort: When we talk about luxurious hotel in Kuakata then this is the first name that we need to mention. This resort is expensive, but at the same time provides international class amenities.
- Hotel Kuakata Grand: Another famous resort in this place is this one. This resort is equipped with some of the best facilities such as suites, AC rooms, Wi-Fi, laundry, etc. The rates here too are quite reasonable and there are many restaurants near this resort.
Food and Restaurants in this place:
Bangladesh is known for its cuisines and there are so many wonderful places to eat here. There are many international class restaurants here in Kuakata. Let’s find out some of these restaurants:
- Othithi Seafood restaurant: The Othithi Seafood restaurant is very popular among the people for its seafood cuisines. You can order different types of seafood from all over the world here in these restaurants. The staff is also really friendly.
- Appayon Restaurant: This restaurant is also a very popular one in this place and is known to serve some of the finest Bengali dishes in the region.
- Talukder Fry: This restaurant is known for its ambiance and a perfect place for families. There are many dishes that are popular here and they serve some of the international dishes too.
- Hotel Khabar Ghor: This one too is known for its local cuisines. There is parking space available in this restaurant. The rates are quite reasonable and the staffs are known for their customer service.
Tips of tourist:
- Book the staying early: It is very important when you are looking to travel to and subcontinent tourist place. There is a rush all the time for and that is why booking a hotel in Kuakata early is a good idea.
- Do not travel during the monsoon season: During the monsoon season, you can expect heavy rainfall. There are also instances when floods can be seen. So avoid traveling during the monsoon season. The monsoon starts from April and extends until July.
- Use mosquito repellents: While traveling to the subcontinent always take some mosquito repellant with you. There are several species of mosquitoes that can cause different diseases.
- Spicy food: Most of the subcontinent people love spicy food which might not get too well with people from the west. So choose your food wisely.
- Beware of scammers: There are many scammers here in Kuakata just like any other tourist place. If you know the art of bargaining you can or else hire a guide who can help you.